Sunday, May 4, 2008

I Can Hear the Laughter Now

Yes, we temporarily have a kitten. For those of you that weren't at the ABF social last night, you might not realize that I found 4 abandoned kittens under Tammy and Allen's house. I thought they were cute. I helped feed one with a syringe. I was intriqued. Little did I know, I would take one home.

The cute little guy (or girl) is sweet. I've grown "a little" attached. Carissa, on the other hand, can't figure it out how she feels about it yet. She did name it Princess she said for the time we have him (her words). I told her not to get attached because we are looking for a home for it (unless Rob caves).

We put it in a box with a nice towel and some shredded paper overnight. It only wimpered a few times. We once again fed it a bit and loved on it before church this morning. Carissa finally held it. She said as long as the claws didn't touch she would be okay. So we wrapped it in a soft blanket. When Rob and I got home from church, the poor thing was wimpering. I knew it must be hungry so I tried to feed it. We also went to our neighbors who are immense animal lovers to see what we could do. They called a few places and left a few messages. (They know somebody that helps abandoned animals find homes.) So, since the cat wouldn't take the milk, we went to Feeders Supply and bought some KMR and a tiny bottle. My how much this is like a newborn! I have to feed Princess every 4 hours. Oh the best part!!! We have to "help" it pee and poop. I didn't have any clue that momma cats lick the genitals of the kittens to get them to learn how to empty their bowels and bladder. So, about 10 minutes after feeding, we have to help them by using a warm paper towel. We found out the poor animal probably hadn't peed in DAYS because once she starting peeing, she took a lonnnnnnngggggggggggg time! I couldn't believe all the pee in that little itty bitty bladder.

All in all, it's been a pretty neat experience. Rob has pretty much laughed, snickered and rolled his eyes all weekend about this. We are really not animal-people so this is all very funny if you know us at all! He had to open his budget up for $16 that wasn't allocated!

So, we are currently keeping this kitten alive and praying our neighbor finds it a home. I knew my family wasn't complete but a kitten wasn't in my picture at all! :-)

No comments: